The key to smart dieting is to add foods to your daily menu that are healthy, nutritious and keep you full for longer periods of time.
Meal planning is also very important. We all have busy schedules and not a lot of time for cooking or shopping. So, if you have a diet that involves a lot of shopping for rare or expensive ingredients, or many hours of cooking, your chances of succeeding drop significantly. After all, we would all be in great shape if we could afford a personal chef, nutritionist and trainer. Unfortunately, very few of us can afford such luxuries so we must do the next best thing – choosing foods that are healthy and nutritious, but also widely available, affordable and easy to cook. Here is a list of five types of food that will help you lose weight.
1. Soups: Soups make a great lunch or dinner for everyone and especially for people on a diet. Soups are nutritious, contain a lot of minerals and vitamins, are easy to digest and also keep you hydrated. It’s better to prepare your own soups, since store-bought ones tend to contain too much sodium, hidden sugars and unhealthy preservatives and artificial flavors.
Image credit: Janet Hudson
Homemade bone stocks with added vegetables should be on your menu at least a couple of times each week, if you are trying to lose weight. It’s a very convenient, healthy meal because bone stock is rich in minerals, while the vegetables and the meat provide the vitamins and proteins your body needs to function properly during a diet. You can make a large pot of soup once a week and keep it in the fridge for several days. This way, you’ll have something light and healthy for when you are really hungry and you won’t be tempted to choose unhealthy snacks.
2. Whole grain cereals- Most diets advise you to avoid excess carbohydrates. It’s a good idea especially if those carbohydrates come from sources such as white bread, potato chips, refined or sugary cereals. But complex carbohydrates are an essential part of a healthy diet and avoiding them all together it’s not a good idea. It’s important to eat a moderate serving of complex carbohydrates rich in fibers, vitamins and minerals every day. Whole grain cereals are a good breakfast choice when dieting. They will keep you full for hours and will provide your body with plenty of energy until lunch.
Image credit: Wikipedia
When shopping for whole grain cereals, make sure you read the labels carefully and don’t buy products that have added sugars or flavors, or a mixture of refined cereals with some whole grain cereals. You can add yogurt, milk, nuts, seeds, fresh or dried fruits to your cereals for a tasty, filling breakfast. However, pay attention to serving sizes as a handful of whole grain cereals, mixed with some of your own additions mentioned above is more than enough!
Image credit: Woodlewonderworks
3. Eggs are an excellent, cheap source of quality proteins. Dieting can be quite expensive because unfortunately junk foods are so much cheaper than lean meats, fish, fresh fruits and vegetables. So, why not take advantage of eggs which are widely available and affordable? One or two eggs per day make a great addition to your diet. A lot of people are concerned about the effect that eggs have on their cholesterol levels but recent scientific studies have shown that moderate consumption of eggs doesn’t have a measurable effect on an individual’s cholesterol level.
Image Credit: Wikipedia
4. Canned sardines: make an exceptionally healthy snack (not to mention that they are available everywhere and are not too expensive). Sardines provide important nutrients such as fatty acids, proteins, calcium, and can help you lose weight without stressing your body or your health.
Image credit: Jessica Spengler
5. Nuts and seeds: are also a great source of healthy fats, proteins, fibers, vitamins and minerals. Nuts (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts) are the ideal snack for work or gym because they are filling and offer you a boost of energy. Seeds, on the other hand, help you regulate your intestinal transit and have plenty of vitamin E, the vitamin that makes your skin and hair look healthy and shiny.
By adding those foods to your daily menus you will make dieting a lot easier and your body will thank you for all the essential nutrients you’re putting in it.
This article was written by Eve Nanson with the assistance of Phentermine Clinics, for people interested dieting and healthy nutrition.
Latest posts by howliven (see all)
- Everything you need to know about lasik eye surgery - March 30, 2017
- 10 Easy And Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Acne - March 13, 2017
- Diabetes – Everything you should know before too late - February 23, 2017